This easy recipe for hobo dinner with hamburger is guaranteed to become a weekly favorite! Three ingredients and aluminum foil is all you need to make a delicious meal for two.
After 20 plus years of cooking almost every day, this empty nester is ready to hang up her pots and pans and leave it to someone else. Who’s with me?
I’m always on the look out for simple recipes. I don’t like to cook, so the less time I spend in the kitchen the better!
I can remember eating hobo dinners at Girl Scout camp. Putting it all together and cooking it on a camp fire. That was the best dinner ever! That was a lot of years ago and I had forgotten how good those hobo dinners were.
My dad makes this dish and so I took his recipe and added my own touch to it. He says I improved on his and now he is making it like I do.
This post contains affiliate links. When you purchase from a link on this blog, I earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting me and my blog! You can read my full disclosure here.
Ingredients for Hobo Dinner for Two with Hamburger
Let’s get cooking!
- Dice 1/2 a red onion
- peel 3 russet potatoes and dice them into small pieces
Pull out 2 sheets of aluminum foil approximately 18″ long. Spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Split the ground beef into two portions and place on the aluminum foil. I usually give my hubby more in his packet.
- Season with McCormick’s Grill Mates hamburger seasoning.
- Split the red onion and potatoes and layer on top of the ground beef.
- Season with garlic salt and pepper.
- Add two pats of butter to the top of each packet.
- Fold the aluminum foil around the ingredients nice and tight. Bake in the oven at 375 degrees for 60 minutes.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of each packet when it’s done.
- Fold them back together lightly until the cheese is melted.
- Serve it up. It slides easily out of the aluminum foil.
There is very little clean up to do after this easy hobo dinner for two which makes it an even better meal to make!
Our neighbor across the street slices up steak and puts in hers instead of hamburger. I tried that with sirloin steak and it is the most tender steak you will ever eat!
I’ll be trying it with chicken next!
Like this recipe? Pin it for later!
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 small red onion
- 3 medium russet potatoes
- 4 pats of butter
- McCormick's Grill Mates Hamburger Seasoning
- Garlic Salt
- Shredded cheese of your choice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, tear 2 sheets of aluminum foil and spray with non stick cooking spray.
- Dice 1/2 a red onion. Peel 3 russet potatoes and dice them into small pieces.
- Split the ground beef into two portions and place on the aluminum foil. I usually give my hubby more in his packet. Season with McCormick's Grill Mates hamburger seasoning.
- Split the red onion and potatoes and layer on top of the ground beef. Season with garlic salt and pepper.
- Add two pats of butter to the top of each packet. Fold aluminum foil tightly around the ingredients.
- Bake in the oven for 60 minutes.
- Add shredded cheese when done, lightly close aluminum foil until cheese is melted.